Frankly speaking, I believe design is underrated.
From the moment you open your eyes until you go to bed, you use something that is designed to make your life easier. However, nobody pays attention to that until something is badly designed. Everything from a pen to a jet is influenced by design and only great design can lead to creation of great products or services, be it a website and interface design, product design, graphic design, engineering design, interior design, architecture, and the list goes on.
Yet, people actually think everyone can do it - with the right set of free online tools and a little bit of time, a few YouTube tutorials on how to design, everyone can become an expert in no time.
Sorry to break it to you but that simply won’t do.
We’ve been in the business for a decade now, met a lot of different clients and from our experience when a business is on a tight budget, the very first thing they cut out is design without realizing how important it is to invest in it and no, you can’t do it on your own.
Why, you ask. For the following reasons:
- First impression - it’s in human nature to make a decision just by looking at someone or something, so like it or not, they will judge your interface just by its visual appeal and if they don’t like it instantaneously, they will not stick around for long to dig deeper and look for “inner beauty”. Remember, first impression counts.
- Good design differentiates you from the competition - You cannot expect to be remembered if you are the same as your competitor, if there’s nothing that sets you apart. Sure there are many differentiators like price, quality, service but please do not underestimate the power of creativity. People easily remember things which are out of the ordinary or things which are unlike anything they’ve seen before.
- It increases your conversion rate - design is not only about making things look good, it is a communication tool which, if done right, can entice and persuade customers to take action.
- Boosts brand awareness - A well-designed brand makes your company recognizable.
- Good design is unforgettable - with this, you’ve got yourself returning customers.
It would also be a good idea to conduct a design audit of your business — your brand, your website, product or a service - since in this way people connect with your brand. And if you want to improve the odds of success, you need to prioritize a bit differently from what you’ve done so far.